Wednesday, September 5, 2007

Blessed Mother Teresa

As we were thinking of the blog title yesterday, Mother Teresa's quote - "We can do no great things, only small things with great love." - came to my mind. Since we were one day away from her feast day, and have always loved this quote, we came to agreement quickly. Today I read Demi's book for the first time together with my kids. I was moved to tears near the end of the book because I remembered watching her funeral on TV 10 years ago and the sea of people who came to give her tribute... it was just so touching. Anyways, I didn't know that the book was quite lengthy (note to self - should always read it once before showing the kids :) so I wasn't surprised that Matthew lost interest 1/4 of the way through. But Joyce was very interested and asked if she could be one of the nuns! Yes, I answered, if that's God's calling for you, and that will probably happen when you're older. Later when I looked at the map of the missionary centers around the world, I told her that there is a center her in our city (because I remember that her Godmother had visited there) and she asked whether she could visit them. I told her that we could when the time is right, but I'm thinking it would be too traumatic for her at this young age to see the sick and dying. We'll keep this in our prayers.

The following are some of our favourite quotes by Mother Teresa:
"It is a poverty to decide that a child must die so that you may live as you wish."
"If we accept that a mother can kill even her own child, how can we tell other people not to kill one another?"
"God doesn't require us to succeed; he only requires that you try."
"I do not pray for success, I ask for faithfulness."
"Love begins by taking care of the closest ones - the ones at home."
"Each one of them is Jesus in disguise."

Blessed Mother Teresa, pray for us! Pray especially for Canada, where the sanctity of life and traditional family values are under attack.

No comments: